GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, REFINED SUGAR-FREE, SPECIFIC CARBOHYDRATE DIET (SCD) & PALEO
I’ve been wanting to try making SCD-legal banana fritters for a long time. When I was studying for my masters, I lived with a Chinese girl who used to make them all the time. They were so easy and delicious and I have been really craving them recently. They taste great on their own or paired with your favourite dairy-free ice-cream. You can see my ice-cream recipes here if you want to make your own. This recipe is quick so you can easily whip them up mid-week for dessert. They’re also a great recipe to make if you have too many overripe bananas hanging around!
My daughter loved these and was quite fascinated that they were made from bananas. I think one of the best things about being on SCD is being able to create healthy treats and desserts for my family. I actually feel good giving my family something sweet everyday because I know they are not loaded with artificial or unhealthy ingredients. These can be slightly messy to make but are so worth it!
I made these in my new iron skillet which I actually LOVE! It can be difficult to get used to cooking in it when you are used to using non-stick cookware. I never liked non-stick cookware anyway because I hated that the coating came off so quickly. I didn’t realise it actually could be dangerous though until I read this article by Wellness Mama. Now, I always stick to ceramic, glass, stainless steel or cast iron. A good excuse to buy some fancy cookware! If you use it everyday like I do, it is really a good investment.
Back to these delicious banana fritters. You won’t regret making these. I promise you! For more snack ideas suitable for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet click here.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 2 Free range eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (150g) Blanched Almond Flour
- 3 (large) Ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract*
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons Raw honey
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- Chop the bananas into small chunks as shown.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, almond flour, bicarbonate of soda, vanilla and honey. Dip the banana chunks into the egg mixture.
- In a skillet or frying pan melt the coconut oil on a low-medium heat. Once melted, add the banana chunks. Fry until you get a nice colour on all sides, turning every two minutes for even cooking. Cook for 8-10 minutes in total.