GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, LACTOSE-FREE, SPECIFIC CARBOHYDRATE DIET (SCD)
I love one pan dishes. Who doesn’t? Less dishes to wash is always a good thing. I was inspired to make this One Pan Chicken with Mushrooms dish from childhood memories of chicken casseroles and beef stroganoffs. Since I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), I do miss certain dishes. I miss the ease at which I could whip up a roux and create a tasty sauce in minutes.
Ready-made stock cubes which allowed me to create stews and soups more easily are a thing of the past. Although, I miss those things but I don’t miss feeling awful most of the time. So the lack of convenience is worth every second. SCD sauces may take a little more time and effort than before but the end result makes up for the effort. This One Pan Chicken with Mushrooms is a great weekend or weekday dish with everything ready in less than one hour.
If you are not following the SCD diet then you can substitute natural yoghurt for SCD yoghurt but then the dish won’t be lactose-free. If you want to find out how to make a probiotic, lactose-free goat’s milk yoghurt, click here. When it comes to the chicken stock, if you are following SCD you have limited options. I always use homemade stock which is healthier and more tasty than shop bought anyway. It would be convenient to buy stock at times but I have yet to find an additive-free stock available in Ireland. If you find an additive-free stock you can substitute it. Just be sure to read the label very carefully. Even in “natural” stocks, potato starch and maize are often used as fillers.
A handy tip is to make a big batch of stock when you have had roast chicken and freeze it in BPA-free food trays. This is so handy as they are ready to pop out when you need them. I just pop a few into a saucepan straight from the freezer and melt on a low heat. Once fully melted, use the stock as normal. This is such a lifesaver for mid-week dishes!
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||45-50 minutes|
- 4 Free range chicken breasts, chopped up
- 3 Onions*, chopped *I used one red onion and two brown
- 2 cups (250g) Chestnut mushrooms*, chopped *You can substitute button mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (235ml) Chicken stock (hot)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons (160g) SCD Yoghurt or natural yoghurt if you are not following SCD
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Melt the butter in an cast iron skillet or frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent or soft. (About 5 minutes)
- Add the chicken pieces and turn up the heat to high. Cook until the chicken is mostly cooked through. (About 10-15 minutes)
- Turn down the heat to medium. Next add the dijon mustard and yoghurt and stir through. Gradually, add the stock very slowly stirring constantly.
- Next, add the mushrooms and cook until they are soft. Using a meat thermometer, check that the chicken is cooked fully prior to serving. Season with salt and pepper and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Serve with cauliflower rice.