GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, REFINED SUGAR-FREE, SPECIFIC CARBOHYDRATE DIET (SCD), PALEO
The idea for these raspberry thumbprint cookies came from having an abundance of raspberries in the fridge on the brink of going off. That, and I had a massive craving for something sweet (shocker!). I will never forget the day I made these raspberry thumbprint cookies for the first time. It was the day that hurricane Ophelia hit Ireland. I woke up early to start my baking before the inevitable happened. We lost power and water…for a week! That night, as we gathered around the candles, as least we had some delicious snacks!
This recipe might seem like a lot of work because you need to make a raspberry jam but it’s actually super easy and quick. These cookies have a definite Christmas feel about them. Ok, maybe it’s just the red colour but I think they could make a really cute Christmas gift. I’m all about food gifts the last few years. People seem to really appreciate receiving something cooked with love. I guess food gifts are important to me now because since beginning SCD, I spend so much time cooking. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is as food-obsessed as me!
I love experimenting with new SCD snacks. You’ll rarely see me enjoying the same snacks from week to week. Time consuming? Sure. But so worth it. I love nothing more than surprising my husband with another healthy treat to try. Honestly, he’s quite baffled at the variety of my diet now. I remember when I first went gluten, grain and refined sugar-free. I spent my days anxious wondering “what would I eat?”. Now, two years later, I look forward to every meal. I don’t eat to live, I LIVE to eat! I am so grateful for that.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 cups (250g) Fresh raspberries
- Freshly squeezed orange juice (1 orange)
- Orange zest (1 orange)
- 2 tablespoons Raw honey
- 2 cups Blanched Almond Flour
- 4 tablespoons Raw honey
- 4 tablespoons Coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract* *No added sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
For the jam:
For the cookies:
- Begin by making the jam. Place all the jam ingredients in a pot on a medium-low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- While the jam is cooking, prepare the cookies. Preheat the oven to: 160°C Fan, 180°C electric, 350°F or gas mark 4.
- Blend all the cookie ingredients well in a food processor until a dough ball forms. You can either make 10 larger biscuits or more smaller ones. I used a tablespoon to scoop out dough balls then rolled them in between my hands. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Flatten the balls with the palm of your hands.
- Using your thumb (hence the name) make an imprint in each cookie large enough to fit a teaspoon of jam.
- Spoon a little jam into the centre of each cookie. Bake for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. These cook really quickly because they are so small so watch them carefully from 7 minutes!