Quiche and salad was a regular dinner in our house before I went gluten and grain-free. I used to buy the ready-made pastry and it was a quick go-to meal for busy weeknights. This gluten and grain-free takes just a few minutes more but is worth the extra effort. I still make this on busy weeknights. You could even make the pastry the night before and keep it in the fridge. You can also use whatever roasted vegetables you have leftover from dinner the night before.
I buy my dry curd cottage cheese in Polish shops here in Ireland. Recently, it has also become available in my local Tesco. It is called “Twarog” cheese and make sure you buy the full fat version (usually the red one). In the U.S. it is known as farmers’ cheese or dry curd cottage cheese. It is not to be confused with regular cottage cheese which is not allowed on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). On it’s own it is quite bland but it is the perfect texture for quiches and cheesecakes.
- 2 cups (300g) Blanched Almond Flour
- 2 tablespoon Melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 Free range egg, beaten
- 2 Red peppers, chopped
- 2 Yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (plus extra for greasing) Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (80g) Dry curd cottage cheese (Twarog)
- 1/2 cup (50g) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 Free range eggs, beaten
- Sea salt
- Back pepper
For the crust:
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Fan, 200°C electric, 390°F or gas mark 6.
- Grease an overproof dish with a little olive oil. Place the peppers and onions in the dish and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry.
- Grease the pastry tin with butter.Mix together the almond flour, melted butter and salt in a bowl until combined. Make a well and add the beaten egg. Mix well with your hands or a fork, then press the crust into the tin using a spoon and fork.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 160°C Fan, 180°C electric, 350°F or gas mark 4.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes until just beginning to colour.
- Mix together the beaten eggs, roasted peppers & onions and dry curd cottage cheese in a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the crust.
- Next, top with the cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the topping is set and golden brown around the edges.